Sunday 5 April 2015

Remove Brown Spots while breastfeeding

Since last summer I've had some sunspots on my face. They are not very noticeable (my husband can't see them unless I point them out) However, the thing is that I see them and they bug me!

Now, if I wasn't breastfeeding I would know how to get rid of them. I would simply use some Retin-A in combination with perhaps, hydroquinone. Or I would go and get a photofacial at the dermatologist. I've researched and researched how to get rid of these annoying spots while breastfeeding. The hormones are still weird while you breastfeed. I know, since I have not had a single pimple since I started (good) and my face is dryyyy (bad). Therefore, some people may develop sunspots more easily. It could also be called the mask of pregnancy or chloasma.
So what do I do? I rated what I've tried from 1-5, where 1 is not working at all and 5 is working very well.

Tested Sun Spot remedies:

Vitamin C = 1
Tried a dose of vitamin C capsules and it did not help. Also tried applying pure lemon juice for a couple of weeks with no results =(

Salicylic Acid = 3
After researching this I found that it's safe to use while nursing. It feels like the skin is reacting to it, but I have not seen any results yet. However, I think it has potential....

Glycolic Acid = 4
I purchased Derma E overnight peel which I've been using for about 4 weeks. I think it might be working, but it's not providing any fast results (I'm very impatient). However, I will keep using it.

Exfoliate = 3
I do this every day, by using my homemade exfoliator I found on wellness mama
It definitely refreshes your skin and it helps in shedding the dead skin layers. In the long run I can see it helping.

Green tea toner/green tea bags = 1
Nope, that did not work for me! I ended up drinking it instead =)

Next to try:

Kojic Acid
I heard many good things about this and I will see if I can find any cream with this ingredient.

Licorice extract
This should also help fading dark spots. I have yet to find a good cream with this ingredient. What I do have though is Swedish salty licorice candy. That is so darn good, but most Canadians seem to think it tastes like sh xx ttt.  Unfortunately, candy doesn't fade any spots...

No No's right now ( I have yet to actually confirm the dangers of these ingredients with a qualified doctor)

Hydroquinone
This is very effective but also a bit scary since it's banned in Europe. In some cases, I heard it can actually make your spots worse. Might try it anyway later.....

Retin-A
Not recommended to be used while pregnant or breastfeeding. Too bad since I have a huge tube in my fridge......

Prevention:

Sun Screen
Any living woman knows that this is important! The higher the better! 

Hat
Use a hat. I found a great one at IKEA yesterday for only 2 dollars. That is what I call CHEAP! 

Ok that's all I've got for now.

Happy Easter!!! 

2 comments:

  1. we set up a blog to help medical professionals access the latest information and recommendations about breastfeeding. breast pump

    ReplyDelete